Log in

Chaotic Convergence
Where my right brain and left brain meet.
Randomness: Getting Used to the Place 
All are welcome to comment. A livejournal account is not required.
17th-Jul-2009 11:25 am
In New Mexico, it rarely rained and because Socorro is protected by a mountain range on the west with a high plateau behind it, the little bit of moisture making it into the area could easily be too high to reach the ground in town, or the storms would often crash into the mountain and either veer or split.

In Southern Illinois, it'd be much easier to count the days it hasn't rained and just off the top of my head, I'd say there's been fewer than ten completely dry days over the past four months. Also, back in Socorro, thunder cracked, while here thunder rumbles and if you're upstairs, it really sounds like something is rolling across the roof.


Today marks the first day that my son might actually play outside by himself.

We've been in this house for twenty-two days and he won't knowingly be on a floor by himself. I've tried to wander off, while he's busy in the playroom, but as soon as he hears me on the stairs, he's right there, behind me.

I'm getting no ghost vibe and he's never said anything specific. He'll simply say "I can't" or "I'm scared" and I've been chalking it up to insecurity from the move, along with the fact that while we were living in hotels, he was never alone.

I have to say that I'm kind of proud that he's voluntarily trying to play outside. Though since I've started typing this post, he's come back to my office three times, but after he says whatever he wanted to express, he's goes back outside.

Maybe if I spent a little time in the kitchen, so he can see me, he'll finally be able to finish the road he's trying to Tonka-up in the drive.
17th-Jul-2009 05:25 pm (UTC)
Living in D.C., I really miss the storms in the Midwest.

Nothing dramatic seems to happen here, weatherwise. Somedays it is a wee humid. In January and February, I typically turn the heater on.

Back home... on the plains that encircle Chicago, the weather makes itself known. The sky goes dark and the you can watch the clouds roll in from the west - great billowing things, like mountains above the plains.... Then the rain comes, not in the drops that fall here, but in sheets that beat their noise through windows modern and old.

And then the thunder rolls in. And booms. And rolls. The lightening momentarily turning night into day.

It's as if the universe wants to make it known that we are small. That we are fragile, that we need to remember to cower on occasion - cower, or rage, wet and surly, against the sky.

In D.C., the skies are complient and comfortable. We are left to our own devices, allowed to assume that we do, in fact, matter....

There may be a reason that the capital is located where it is.
17th-Jul-2009 06:04 pm (UTC)
Growing-up in NC, I can recall a couple of storms that rumbled, but here it's pretty much every thunderstorm. Every thunder is like twenty seconds long and most of them, you really can't pick out a peak. They're also one on top of one another, quite often. While one thunderclap is still rumbling, another one or two will start going while the first one completes.

Oh, and though the rain seems to be a daily thing, the big event since I got here was the May 8th storm.

To start with, they called it an "inland hurricane", then a "comma-shaped event" and now I think they've settled on a "derecho".

I spoke to my wife around 1:30 or so that afternoon. She said that she was planning to come home early, but since the wind was starting to blow, she'd wait until it had settled down. Before I knew it, the wind was so fierce that the power went out, signs were being ripped apart and trees uprooted.

They sent the maids around to call everyone down to the lobby and when it was over, the radio said the unofficial windspeed was 110mph and that power was out to virtually everyone in two counties.

We waited around for a while with no power and no phones. Then, when my wife didn't come back to the hotel, we drove over to her office to learn that it had taken almost three hours to clear their driveway of downed trees, enough so that they could get out and the radio was saying, the power could be off for days or weeks, plus there could be a water shortage.

Needless to say, since it was a Friday afternoon and because we really didn't need to be there, we went to St. Louis for the weekend and got back on Sunday about two hours after power had been restored to the cluster of hotels beside the interstate.

I had been through several hurricanes on the Outer Banks and some strong n'oreasters in New England, but they were always long and we got plenty of warning, while whatever you call the thing on May 8th, it did more damage in thirty minutes than I have ever seen.
Navigational Tip: Use the tag links or the tag cloud to group posts by subject.